About Me

My photo
Heart of Dixie, United States
Just a Southern man who believes men should act like men and women should be treated like ladies until they prove themselves otherwise.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Is Chivalry Really Dead?

Kenelm Henry Digby gives us the following definition: "Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world."

Yeah, OK.  That's too over my head.  When I use the word, I mainly think of men treating those around them with courtesy and respect.  I say "men" because that's who we normally think of when we use the word chivalry.

I was raised to say "ma'am" and "sir."  I still do it, even to people younger than me (those are getting more numerous every day.)  I say, "thank you" and "please."  I hold a door for anyone and I give a chair to a woman or someone older than me.

Now I'm not tootin' my own horn because I'm not the only one that does that...many of my contemporaries do.  I am noticing, however, that our younger generations are slacking off in the "politeness" area.  I can tell when a kid has been raised right by the way he treats adults.  And I'm not afraid to call one on their behavior.

One of the things that make the South wonderful to me is the graciousness, charm.....and manners....of it's inhabitants.  We lose that....we lose "my South."  I mean, heck, lots of us are polite to people we can't stand!  Where else do you see that?

For better or worse, our traditions and manners have made us what we are....and I, for one, don't intend to change.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, Mike. I was beginning to think that I may have been the only one to notice this. We do this to ourselves. Our interim youth minister once told a teen that "You don't have to say ma'am to me." Yes he does. He was raised that way. She didn't understand that his using "ma'am" was not about her (or her age as she was only about 23) but rather about him and his upbringing. We adults should demand that younger people use "sir", "ma'am" and the like, otherwise they will never know what real respect is about.

    ReplyDelete