About Me

My photo
Heart of Dixie, United States
Just a Southern man who believes men should act like men and women should be treated like ladies until they prove themselves otherwise.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stranger in a Strange Land

I was walking yesterday and I did a strange thing...I shook hands (vine) with a Kudzu plant. 

I know that sounds odd but the vine was on the side of the road, sticking up about waist-high and, being the tactile person I am, stuck my hand out and introduced myself.  Then I though, "I really don't know that much about you, Mr. Kudzu, even though you are EVERYWHERE!"

So I set out to find out more about my neighbor.  Did you know it took a lot of work to get Kudzu all over the place?  It was introduced to the U.S. in 1876.  Florida nursery operators, Charles and Lillie Pleas, discovered that animals would eat the plant and promoted its use for forage in the 1920s. Their Glen Arden Nursery in Chipley sold kudzu plants through the mail. A historical marker there proudly proclaims "Kudzu Developed Here."

During the 1930s, it was promoted for erosion control and people were PAID to plant it!  The problem is that here in the Southeastern U.S., it grows too well.  And some herbicides were discovered to actually make it grow better!

Well, it's here, free and abundant so many folks have attempted to use it for everything from food to basket-weaving.  But, mostly we just sit around and gripe about it.  However, in my opinion, it's one of the things that makes the South "the South."

So take a closer look at this stranger that lives right next to you.  Like most strangers, you may see that there's more to them than meets the eye...once you get to know 'em.





1 comment:

  1. I know the "stranger" that TRIES to live in my backyard!!! And, this probably being a family friendly blog....I won't say where I wish that PROUD SIGN really was that those people like to display!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete